TTORA Forum banner

Front Diff. Disconnect

9K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  hytenor 
#1 ·
Let me start by saying the article on the Rear Locker was very clear to understand in how to lock it up in 2HI, 4HI and 4LO.
On to my question about the Front Diff. Disconnect, I need to be able to put the truck in low range 2 wheel so I can maneuver a small trailer around up hill in tight turns backing up. The truck is a 2006 Tacoma 4x4 and six speed manual with electric engagement axle. I noticed that the plug has 5 wires at the diff. could two be for the motor and two for the directional switch and the last being ground. I was thinking if I had a toggle switch on the ground wire to turn off the ground would this keep the front axle from engaging.
Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
that sounds like it might work, what about doing a toggle so the motor wouldn't work at all when switched that way you know you are just guessing.... just a thought since no one else had any idea's

#3 ·
I've got my transfer case actuator wired to a double pole, double throw switch. The t-case actuator is nearly identical to the rear elocker and front ADD actuators.

2 of the wires provide current to the motor. Current is reversed based on if the diff is being engaged or disengaged.

3 wires are for the limit switches. 1 of the 3 is a common and has contact with both limit switches regardless of position. The other 2 wires are independent. These wires will independently disconnect once the limit has been reached. For my DPDT switch, I used the limit switch as the ground for my motor. When the motor reached the limit, the ground would be cut and the motor would stop.

You can use Dick Fosters write-up on wiring up the rear elocker to help you out: http://www.norcalttora.com/~dick/Writeup Stuff/toyota_elock_control.pdf

#5 ·
It's simple to do. Locate the switch on the T case that tells the system that the T case is in 4WD. You should find it toward the rear on the passenger side. Cut one of the wires in the cable that goes to that switch and add your own switch in the cab to interupt it. Now when you go into 4WD high or low, if you open the switch the front axle actuator will unlock. If you have the switch open and go to 4WD the actuator never moves from the 2WD postion. If you have the switch closed, it acts as it always did. It only requires a simple SPST switch action so you have your choice of switch styles, toggle, rocker, slide whatever and it does not matter which of the two wires you add your switch to.

#6 ·
Need to bypass front diff Actuator completely

I am hoping that someone might be able to help me out. I have done a SAS on a 06 Taco but in doing so the T-case will not go into 4wd Hi or Low unless I plug in the factory front diff actuator. I would like to bypass the wiring and put a toggle switch in dash long trick the T-case motor into thinking the front diff is engaged. Has anyone don this??? Or have any suggestions on which wisre I need to use for this????

#7 ·
I am hoping that someone might be able to help me out. I have done a SAS on a 06 Taco but in doing so the T-case will not go into 4wd Hi or Low unless I plug in the factory front diff actuator. I would like to bypass the wiring and put a toggle switch in dash long trick the T-case motor into thinking the front diff is engaged. Has anyone don this??? Or have any suggestions on which wisre I need to use for this????
check with Wyatt for this as he, Marlin and Dick have pretty much figured all the electrical fixes out for the new tacos.
congrats on your swap!
any build pics?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.