TTORA Forum banner

Idler pully rebuild

40K views 39 replies 29 participants last post by  gregers05 
#1 ·
I originally posted this in the 4WD tech section, and today I had to look all the way to page 8 to find it.

Here's a "Copy and Paste" for the cheap tricks section, where it might last a while. :D

You guys know about the idler pulley.

It's down there on the bottom, and it'll die if you get in the mud. It will also give up after about a zillion miles or so of street driving, and that's why I'm messing with this one.

So if you go to the dealer he wants like 40 bucks or so, and Vato zone is less but still too much.

That's horse shit. There's nothing wrong with the pulley. It's the bearing that goes bad.

So here's how you fix that.

Take the pully off of the motor, and drop it on your work bench.

Grab your snap ring pliers and pull that clip out.

Use a drift of some sort and a hammer, and drive the bearing out.

After washing the gunk off, you will be able to see a number on the bearing.

In this case, that number is 6301.

Here's the tricky part. The little girl selling parts at Vatozone won't know how to find a ball bearing. That's WAY too complicated for her.

But at the motorcycle shop, there's a good chance there's somebody that can find you a bearing because it's a normal thing for them.

I got mine out of stock.

Compare the new bearing with the old. If it's the same (And it will be if it's the same number) you're good to go.

This one sells for $8.25. That's the right price for a repair, huh?

Drive the bearing in, using a socket or something. Be careful that you don't crush the seal (The plastic part).

Pop that snap ring back in there and you're good to go.

Put that extra $20 or $30 in your pocket, and go wheeling.

Have fun!

See less See more
#2 ·
Great rebiuld write up. Hopefully that bearing is easy to find like the chick at Vatozone!

#7 ·
Thanks Frank!
Based on your avatar photos, you have a new taco. You can't get the bearing for the new idler pulleys. Its a special bore and OD combination that was made for toyota and not avaiable.

I have called 4 local bearing suppliers I use and no one can get the right bearing. Unless you want to machine a sleeve for the bushing ID and then its cheaper to just buy a new pulley assembly.

FYI I have 4 toasted ones at the house I was gonna rebuild. :mad:

#4 ·
I'm not sure if this is the same bearing but on my old 92 22RE I had the idler bearing wear out and after talking to one of the parts guys who knew his shit he told me that this bearing would work. When you go and ask about the bearing they only give you the entire replacement part. Anyways he said this part # will work 90099-10091. It's a bearing for something else on the truck which I can't remember but it sure as hell worked.

Although it was quite a few years ago I did this, the difference in price was in the $100+ range.

#5 ·
Nice write-up. I have some whistlening noise after 4 years of wheeling and it seems to be the bearing.

#10 ·
I'll one up ya. Mine went out on my 96 v6 about a year ago on a road trip from NC to FL. When I stopped off to get some gas and munchies I decided to check it out. After I checked it out I decided to pull it and look in to further. So I popped it off and popped ot the bearing and peeled out the plastic seal. It was pretty gummy so I sprayed it down with dubya d and cleaned it out. After cleaning i applied some high temp grease to it and put it back together. I only did this for a quick fix till I replaced it. Well after a year and a pcs from NC to WA I still havent replaced it. Now thats a cheap trick.

#11 ·
Well, mine was beyond repairing. There was no plastic cover on one side and the bearings were SHOT.

Stopped by the Yamaha shop in Katy and picked up this new bearing for 4.95.

Now I need to go get a new belt and put it all back together.

#18 ·
Just did mine. Still squeeks. Must be a differnt pulley. Guess I'll keep troubleshooting

#19 ·
My idler pulley

Guys
Thanks for this information. I have to replace mine today. I have the old one off and am going to replace it. Unfortunately, I ordered the entire part from Toyota. Not to bad as it cost $40

I am going to still track these bearings down as we have lots o mud in Georgia

#21 ·
idler bearing

Hey Guys,

Just an FYI,
The new idler pulleys are not rebuildable so save your old ones.
I had to buy a new one as I did not know this at the time.
Wheel Auto part Automotive wheel system Rim Circle

As an FYI, my bearing number is 6301DU2

#22 ·
i did mine about a month and a half ago and went to a bearing place in town and they charged like $22 for the damn thing! worked like a charm, but i wish i had tried one of the motorcycle shops first since you all say they want a quarter of that price

#26 ·
Copy of what I found from this thread on the Early Taco folder:

As previously stated I just confirmed that for the 3.4 the bearing is a 6301-2RS and the dimensions are 12mm inside diameter, 37mm outside diameter and 12mm width RS stands for Rubber Shielded. There are 3 types, Rubber shielded, Metal Shielded, and open.

Now for what you don't know. If you want to order them from a bike shop you'll find it's a pain since they don't use the same part numbers. They use the catalog numbers for the specific motorcycles they go to. So just tell the motorcycle shop that they are Rear Wheel Bearings for a 2000-2003 Honda XR-50 or a 2004-2011 CRX-50 dirt bike and they'll be able to find them easily.

I wound up calling All Balls Racing an online motorcycle bearing supplier. They had the 6301-2RS bearings for $4.71 each and free shipping. At that price I asked what rating the bearings were and he said all of their bearings are ABEC-5 rated bearings. Everything I have read list the ABEC-5 bearings as mid range in quality. I went ahead and ordered 2 just in case.

#29 ·
If you're in San Diego, go to the big Napa warehouse on Convoy Ct. They have every snap ring size under the sun.

and here's the other idler pulley rebuild thread with a little more info:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136014

Where in San Diego are you?

#30 ·
ok, thanks for the info.
im in the south bay; its funny, I actually did call my local NAPA, and the guy I got on the phone said he had just transfered down from the kearney mesa store. He went through their system and claimed he couldnt find a snap ring that large. Either way, Im going to give the convoy store a call...

I believe its like around a 38mm or 39mm metric ring, but Im still not clear on what the exact size should be though. I went to a place called topeco off of 24th in national city. they had like a 37mm ring in stock for $0.70; it was a close enough fit so I grabbed it. the guy at topeco said it might be 'the next size up' from the size I got, but they didnt sell those. The new ring seems a little bit smaller, but Im hoping it'll work.

#31 ·
Can't believe this isn't a sticky somewhere.

#34 ·
Yes, this is for the idler pulley because it is the most common to need replacement due to it's vulnerable to the elements placement.

You just have to pop the bearing out to said accessory pulley and find a matching bearing.

Ez

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.