TTORA Forum banner

Scuba's '99 Single Cab SAS.. 5 Years in the Making

58K views 302 replies 54 participants last post by  Wainiha 
#1 · (Edited)
I've only got another month or so until I'll have most all of my parts in/ on the way. Figured I'd start this thread now.
This thread will include parts lists, plans, pictures, beer, and I hope constructive criticism from everyone.
This will be my first time with such an epic fab project on my own vehicle although I have helped out with a couple solid axle swaps.

Cutting will not start until I have every part I will need to drive the truck safely. I will most likely be borrowing another TTORA member's garage, another members 220 welder, and hopefully a plasma.

Goals for this SAS: get rid of the death trap IFS. Make a more reliable front end. Allow me to wheel more than I wrench.
I want to push the front axle forward as far as possible. I want a better approach angle, I want the tires out of the firewall, and I want to stretch my short wheelbase a little bit.
I am going leaf springs. I don't need a crap ton of flex. I want the strength of a high pinion 8" diff with chromoly everything.

Parts list:

Front: Diamond Axle, 8" High pinion (Marlin built, 5.29's, Yukon grizzly locker). 67" WMS w/ IFS hubs. FROR Tacoma brake mount. RCV inner shafts. TG "longfield" birfs.

Marlin 25MM steering arms. FROR DOM Tie rod/ drag link. All-Pro FJ80 TRE's. Ford bronco forward swing steering box. Parts mike flat pitman arm TG Steering shaft kit. EDIT: 3/31/14: (I have found redline steering fluid that satisfies the needs of both the stock pump and the gear box. The PSC pump kit won't be needed).

FROR SAS kit, All-pro 4" springs. Bilstein 12" 5125's. All-Pro frame plates.

T100 oil pan, pickup, and all that jazz.

Rear: T100/ Tyndra axle. Will transplant my 8.4 welded 5.29 diff into it.
All-pro 5" rear suspension kit. 12" bilsteins.

The truck will probably be on 38's-40's next if I can grow some balls.

That's the basic parts list, I'm sure I am missing some small things. Here are some pictures so far.

Obligatory broken IFS pictures.

Remaining parts (steering shaft has been ordered):

The IFS has taken me almost EVERYWHERE I've wanted. From Moab, to AZ, the Hammers, to the Rubicon, Windrock ORV, Hidden Falls, etc.. IFS has its purpose. It served me well for the past 5 years. However, it is time to take the truck to the next level.

Stay tuned.

See less See more
#3 ·
you and me both jumping for it right now. Im getting a diamond with a 9.5" center built up right now. Going links and coilovers with a healthy stretch on the front end. Get at it buddy!

#5 ·
You must be following Nate's lead. Lol.
I figure eventually I'll have a 9.5 for the rear. The 8" front should hold up decently since I'm not a throttle jockey.
Glad to hear your jumping on the band wagon, though! We'll have to do another Moab run after both are finished! :D

#10 ·
not really lol. If you want to ship it to me to include with my 4wd conversion kit (cut off IFS junk) when I sell it i wont say no but I really have no need for it. I havent been on the boards much at all in the last year so. im slowly starting to post again doing parts research for my swap and looking for wheeling trips this summer to go on. sometime life keeps us away from our hobbies for a while whether we like it or not.

#13 ·
I suppose I'll just pass it forward to someone in need.

AHHH there it is!! Gloat away, i could have abought a 4spd atlas and still had money left over for how much i dumped into my lefty/doubler setup so i hear ya!
Lol that sounds about right.

#12 ·
Did some prep work today..
Got the studs in the housing, replaced the stock knuckle bearing races with the Marlin 25MM ones, polished the knuckles.. etc.
Biggest issue of the day.. when I tried to dry fit the Marlin diff inside the housing, it wouldn't fit. The adjusters are so far out... brought it home (I have to keep my parts at the storage unit a few miles away) and started grinding. Nicked a diff stud but got it out. Got the diff to fit. Took lots of persuasion.
I also pulled the old rotors off of the IFS hubs. I might try machine those down with my grinder here at home.

Pics..

Polished my balls. Will probably JB weld "polish" them becayse they are pretty pitted.

Brake mounts came in.

Before putting the shafts in the birf, I verified they fit in the knuckle ball without grinding. They did. :)

BTW: Whoever came up with this style wheel hub/ brake mounting system should be tarred, feathered, and then hung. I'd venture to say it's the same guy that came up with the 05+ Tacoma hub bearing.

Not a whole lot of "progress" but its just some prep work that I won't have to do when it's time to cut.

I should have my marlin rebuild kit tomorrow.
I also got confirmation that my knuckles, spindles, and steering arms were shipped from my dad's place out in CA.

#16 ·
Did some prep work today..
Got the studs in the housing, replaced the stock knuckle bearing races with the Marlin 25MM ones, polished the knuckles.. etc.
Biggest issue of the day.. when I tried to dry fit the Marlin diff inside the housing, it wouldn't fit. The adjusters are so far out... brought it home (I have to keep my parts at the storage unit a few miles away) and started grinding. Nicked a diff stud but got it out. Got the diff to fit. Took lots of persuasion.
I also pulled the old rotors off of the IFS hubs. I might try machine those down with my grinder here at home.

Pics..

I should have my marlin rebuild kit tomorrow.
I also got confirmation that my knuckles, spindles, and steering arms were shipped from my dad's place out in CA.
same issue with my ARB HP LC diff...had to grind some of the housing to get that sucker in/out.

either make up a set of ball gussets or buy a set and weld them in before you build everything. i used some 1"x .250 angle stock rather than the 1/4" flat that you see as 'kits'. works great. (will try to find some pics)

lookin good so far :D

#14 ·
Got my Marlin service kit today. Missing the spindle nut kits that were supposed to be in the box. Will call them monday.

Prepped the IFS hubs today. Got them cleaned, stripped of the old bearings/ races, turned down, and cleaned again. Ended up taking them to Autozone to check the fit in a Tacoma rotor. 1 fits, 1 is slightly too big. Will fix that sooner or later.

Might be picking up a tundra rear axle this weekend.

Pics.

Yours truly!

#17 ·
Thanks Ted!
Yep, still in Austin! Doing decent!

same issue with my ARB HP LC diff...had to grind some of the housing to get that sucker in/out.

either make up a set of ball gussets or buy a set and weld them in before you build everything. i used some 1"x .250 angle stock rather than the 1/4" flat that you see as 'kits'. works great. (will try to find some pics)

lookin good so far :D
I think I ground a little too much of the housing out but it should still seal just fine. It still took lots of persuasion after grinding.
I actually just got back from helping a friend fit her brand new 8" ARB in her housing. The adjusters were too far out, also.

RE: ball gussets.. I've got a set from Brian with the axle. I asked him to leave the balls and perches tacked where he thinks everything should be. He just didn't mount the gussets. ;)

#21 ·
Adam (Rockweiser) just picked up my rear axle from Dallas. He was headed up there for the ufc fight anyway so it made sense.
Its from a 2002 Tundra, unknown mileage. Was only replaced because of a leaky pinion and axle tube seal.
I will end up putting my 8.4 3rd in this. I'll also use my brake backing plates with the tundra shafts so I can keep the e-brake cable up above the leaf springs.

It's a little dirty but that's not a big deal.

Picked it up for $120 and I owe my friend $45 for gas. Not bad in my opinion.

#23 ·
I like the extra width you went with..I kinda wish mine was that wide for the extra stability instead of 60/62 that I am now. You going to run a high backspace wheel to keep the scrub radius at a minimum?

#28 ·
You're making me wish I went with all yota parts now.....
Then again I only have $1300 in my hp44

Im definitely watching this swap :xpopcorn:

#31 · (Edited)
Probably worse. It's not my daily. I'm sure I'm on borrowed time with 39 reds. No ring and pinion breakages just a t case out put. If I can get a away with more than a year or so I'm fine with it. Wish I would have gone tons to begin with though.

#32 ·
Probably worse. It's not my daily. I'm sure I'm on borrowed time withe 39 reds. No ring and pinion breakages just a t case out put. If I can get a away with more than a year or so I'm fine with it. Wish I would have gone tons to begin with though.
looks like you've pretty much stripped the extra weight off that thing as well...makes a big difference. My truck weighs just over 5k# :p
There are a lot of older Yota trucks out there on 40s that get flogged hard...and have little in the way of issues.

how do you like your Spyderlock wheels? so far mine are holding up well.

#35 ·
I was a little confused at first. However, since I could see what was happening I just went for it. Brian didn't pick up when I called, anyway.

Yea, I'm sitting just shy of 4300 lbs.. Love the spiderlocks, holding up great. Scuba, what are you gonna run for beadlocks? Get rid of that cracked rim!!!!!
I was around 4200. I'm anxious to see how much it changes when I'm done.

Ugh. I know I need new rims. I'm not sure that I'll go with Beadlocks first off.

#41 ·
Talked to the guys at Marlin Crawler, they're shipping my missing spindle nut kits out today. No biggie.

Today I ordered the forward swing bronco steering box and a u-joint to connect to it (the one on the TG kit probably won't work).

Also finally ordered the FROR hanger kit.

Should have more parts in the mail after next Monday.
:)

Already on page 2. :rolleyes:

#46 ·
I'm not sure what post or who you're talking about, but I'm using a ford forward swing box. Shouldn't need hydro with it anyway. Scotty from Addicted Offroad put this box on his black 4Runner, Project Intervention, and ran 37's or 39's without issue.

I'll be running these 35's until their done. I will most likely end up on 37" MTR's next.

Same guy maybe? :dunno: $75 bucks for it and says he can port it for hydro assist as well... (I assume he charges a bit more for that on top of the $75)

http://m.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=278731
See above re: ford forward swing.
Thanks for the link anyway.

BTW, I really like how you've set out (and written down) yours goals on this project and the parts lists.

I've seen some build threads where folks just grab some axle and then start chopping the IFS stuff off and end up finding all sorts of surprises with how much is involved and how many new parts are required and it turns into a giant nightmare for them. There's a guy on TW that's doing a build thread right now and hes dumped over $10k into all sorts of crazy ass parts for his Tacoma SAS using cruiser radius arms and he just figured out hes got different axles than he thought he had.... :doh:

Anyway, excited to watch this progress.
Thanks. As the thread title states it's been a long process so I've had time to decide/ change my build plan.
And lol, I've gotta see that thread!

#45 · (Edited)
BTW, I really like how you've set out (and written down) your goals on this project and the parts lists.

I've seen some build threads where folks just grab some axle and then start chopping the IFS stuff off and end up finding all sorts of surprises with how much is involved and how many new parts are required and it turns into a giant nightmare for them. There's a guy on TW that's doing a build thread right now and hes dumped over $10k into all sorts of crazy ass parts for his Tacoma SAS using cruiser radius arms and he just figured out hes got different axles than he thought he had.... :doh:

Anyway, excited to watch this progress.

#47 ·
Obligatory broken IFS pictures.

The IFS has taken me almost EVERYWHERE I've wanted. From Moab, to AZ, the Hammers, to the Rubicon, Windrock ORV, Hidden Falls, etc.. IFS has its purpose. It served me well for the past 5 years. However, it is time to take the truck to the next level.

Stay tuned.
Is that a broken CV? It must have been a PITA to change a CV in the middle of that climb:eek:

#49 ·
Yep. Scary as shit too.

Duh. I remember that about the forward swing box... I am planning a SAS with an 80 series box and I had been wondering why you chose the Ford over the Fj60/62 or 80 series box.....?

Also, I just peeped that TW thread again and he's just bought fully built diamond axles...stated he's currently at $29000 in parts for his build.... :eek: :what: :screwy:
Purely piston size. Scotty's pictures from the intervention thread are lost, but the FJ80 boxes don't compare in size. The bigger the piston/ internals, the easier the truck will steer with larger tires. No need for extra money for assist. No need for more shit crammed under the truck.

Link. Please. Please. I have got to see this.

I'm estimating under $7500 all together for my swap. Will have a total once I'm done. He could pay someone $30k for a whole swap, with parts.

#50 ·
I contacted summit and they ended up putting my box on back order.
If it takes longer than a couple weeks I'll go elsewhere. Probably Napa.

Got my steering shaft kit from TG today. Everything looks good.
Also got the front axle parts from my dad today. The knuckles and spindles need to be taken to the car wash, I might do that tomorrow.

Today I got to borrow a friends press so I could put my Marlin 25 MM pin kit and arms together.

The difference in size vs. stock. These are BEEF!

Special thanks, again, to Tom (Monkeyproof) for these FREE Marlin Crawler arms. Can't thank you enough!

#56 ·
More money than brains will do that... I see it a lot in some racing series when money isn't an object to people.

Sucks about the steering box. When do you think you will start :saw: ?

#55 ·
Got my knuckles and spindles washed up today. Need more cleaning. There's 10 years of caked on grease on the knuckles. I'll probably soak them in something overnight soon.

Got the axles out of the tundra rear. Tried getting the 3rd out but the fipg has it very stuck. Will try again soon.

Got my brake brackets painted. Color matched them to the truck. Didn't feel like buying black paint and I had this stuff laying around.

That's all for today. Really can't do much else with the front axle until its under the truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.